Friday, April 5, 2013

Sharepoint 2010 Managed Metadata Service



Overview

Managed metadata is a hierarchical collection of centrally managed terms that you can define, and then use as attributes for items in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.
This article introduces the core concepts about managed metadata, and then describes the way you use managed metadata. An example is used throughout this article to illustrate the concepts. The final section presents several benefits of incorporating managed metadata into your SharePoint Server 2010 solution.

How to do

1.     Create new Managed Metadata Service
2.     Fill information
3.     Make sure Managed Metadata Service Proxy is started
4.     Go to central admin >> Application management >> under Service Applications click to Manage service on server >> Start Managed Metadata Web Service
5.     Choose Managed Metadata Service >> click on Manage Ribbon
6.     This will launch the below screen which is referred to as the Term Store Management Tool.
7.     Right click to Managed Metadata Service >> New Group
8.     Input name
9.     I will label my first Term Set as “Province”.
10.  I will label my first Term Set as “District”.
11.  I will now proceed to create our Terms below our Term Sets.  I’ll begin by selecting the first Term Set “Province” and then selecting Create Term.
12.  I will create my first Term, “DAN” which is a Vietnam State.  You will then be greeted with the below screen
13.  List of term
14.  Download sample file to import Term set
15.  Note, we can expedite the creation of Term Sets by using the Import method
16.  As an example, I have utilized the sample Import File provided by Microsoft and imported the contents within our Managed Metadata Service
17.  Create new Column
18.  Name is District
 
19.  I will now proceed to add a new item in my fairly bland Custom List via Add new item.

20.  Navigate to List Settings / General Settings / Metadata navigation settings
21.  A Within this screen we can specify which fields we want to utilize and incorporate in our Navigation Hierarchies and or Key Filters which are both displayed below the Quick Launch.  Both allow for enhanced and easy drill down when filtering your list.  I have gone ahead and added our “District” Metadata field to both Navigation Hierarchies and Key Filters as examples.
22.  Example of a Navigation Hierarchy.
23.  Example of Key Filters.

3 comments:

  1. This is one technology that I would love to be able to use for myself. It’s definitely a cut above the rest and I can’t wait until my provider has it. Your insight was what I needed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one technology that I would love to be able to use for myself. It’s definitely a cut above the rest and I can’t wait until my provider has it. Your insight was what I needed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete